[KS] Korea University Graduate Student Conference in Asian Studies in conjunction with the 2017 AAS-in-ASIA Conference

HYOUNGKUN KIM deceivei at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:09:22 EDT 2017

*Korea University Graduate Student Conference in Asian Studies *
*in conjunction with the 2017 AAS-in-ASIA Conference*

Date        Friday, June, 23rd  09:00-19:00
Venue     Woo Dang Hall, Korea University

Sponsors        BK21, Department of Korean History, Korea University
                       BK21, Department of Korean Language and literature,
Korea University
                       BK21, Department of Chinese & Japanese Language and
literature, Korea University
                       International Research Center for Korean Language
and Culture, Korea University
                      Research Institute of Korean Studies, Korea
University
                      Center for Korean History, Korea University

                         Session Ⅰ: East Asian History

09:00-09:15
Opening Remarks                                              Woo Dang Hall,
Room 110
Lee Jin Han (Director, BK21, Department of Korean History, Korea
University)

09:15-10:45
[Panel 1] Beyond Traditional East Asian World Order: From Ancient to Modern
period
Discussant: Martina Deuchler(Professor Emeritus, SOAS University of London)

Domination through Symbolic Power: Analysis of the Relationship between
Koguryŏ and the Chinese Commanderies in the First Century B.C.
JongRok Lee (Ph.D Candidate, Korea University)

Ukanju and the Changing Political Order of Northeastern Asia in the 17th
Century
LEE, MENG-HENG (Ph.D Student, National Taiwan University)

A Neglected Voice: Britain’s Response to the Question of Korean
Independence, 1903-5
Euysuk Kwon (Ph.D Candidate, The University of Sheffield)

10:45-11:00 Break

11:00-12:30
[Panel 2] Between Strong and Weak: East Asian Interactions in early 20th
Century
Discussant: Kyu Hyun Kim(Associate Professor, UC Davis)

The Spanish Influenza 1918-1920: The Politics of Producing Scientific
Knowledge
Juhee Kang (M.A Student, Harvard University)

American women missionaries and Chinese women in their eyes: a case study
of Laura M. White
Tin Kei WONG (Ph.D Candidate, The University of Queensland)

Historical and Folkloristic Accounts on Ullambana Rituals(盂蘭盆齋) under
Colonial Rule(1910-45)
Yoojin Choe (Ph.D Student, Korea University)

12:30-13:30 Lunch (Cafeteria, International Studies Hall, Korea University)

13:30-15:00
[Panel 3] Diffusion, Convergence, Collision: New Interpretation of Korean
History and Culture (in Global Perspectives)
Discussant: Leighanne Yuh (Assistant Professor, Korea University)

New Historical Materials of Paekche from perspective of Ancient East Asia
Dongmin Lim (Ph.D Student, Korea University)

Redefining the “Transmission” of Buddhism to Early Korea
Elizabeth Lee (Ph.D Candidate, New York University)

Regional rhythms : networking identities in local Korean hip-hop scenes in
relation to the mainstream music industry
Amos Farooqi (Master of Arts, Korea University)

Under Attack: Fraternal Criticism, Global Discourse, and the Development of
North Korean Ideology
Thomas Stock (Ph.D Candidate,  University of California, Los Angeles)

15:00-15:15 Break

15:15-16:45
[Panel 4] Marginal Groups in Worldwide: Visions from Sexuality, Nationality
and Diaspora
Discussant: Ju Hui Judy Han(Assistant Professor, University of Toronto)

Transforming the Korean Refugee Policy: Role of local and transnational
civil society networks
Won Geun Choi  (Ph.D Candidate, University of Hawaii at Manoa)

Liminal Legality and Postnational Membership in the Making of Sexual
Citizenship in Contemporary Singapore
Minwoo Jung (Ph.D Student, University of Southern California)

Frontier as Future, Periphery as Past: Exploring Korean-ness among the
Koryo-in
Zachary M. Adamz (Ph.D Student, University of Texas at Austin)

The Legacy of Koryŏ (918-1392) Women's Life and Status
Park Youngsuk (Ph.D Candidate, Academy of Korean Studies)

16:45-17:00 Break

17:00-18:30
[Panel 5] Policy and Development: Portraits of Contemporary Korea in Global