[KS] Journal of Korean Religions / Vol. 8 No. 1 "The 1,400th Anniversary of Wŏnhyo’s Birth"

JKR journalkr at sogang.ac.kr
Fri May 12 08:03:30 EDT 2017

The Journal of Korean Religions (JKR) would like to announce the April 2017 publication of Volume 8, Number 1, “The 1,400th Anniversary of Wŏnhyo’s Birth."

This issue, guest edited by Robert E. Buswell, Jr. and Eun-su Cho, celebrates one of the most influential figures in Korean religious history with articles assessing the many ways Wŏnhyo’s thought and practice energized not only Korean Buddhism but the greater Mahayana tradition, as well.

Articles
Human Nature and Buddha Nature in Wŏnhyo
Jong Wook Kim

Towards a Buddhist Ethics of Emptiness: Wŏnhyo on Transgression and Repentance in the Mahayana Repentance of the Six Senses
Eun-su Cho

Wŏnhyo’s View of This World
Seunghak Koh

The Meaning of the Explicit and Inexplicit Approaches in Wŏnhyo’s System of the Two Hindrances (Ijang ŭi 二障義)
A. Charles Muller

Kingship as ‘‘Dharma-Protector’’: A Comparative Study of Wŏnhyo’s and Huizhao’s Views on the Golden Light Sutra
Sumi Lee

Wŏnhyo: Buddhist Commentator Par Excellence
Robert E. Buswell Jr.

Research Articles
The Re-Invention of Korean Sŏn Buddhism in the Late Chosŏn: Paekp’a Kŭngsŏn and His Three-Fold Chan Taxonomy
Seong-Uk Kim

Cardinal Sou-hwan Kim’s Spirituality and Confucian Cultural Context: How Hybrid is Kim’s Confucian-Christian Spirituality?
Pyong-Gwan Pak

Book Review
Korean Religions in Relation: Buddhism, Confucianism, Christianity.
Ed. Anselm K. Min. Reviewed by Halla Kim

Our next issue, Vol. 8, No. 2, October 2017, will be a theme issue on “Religion and Media.” We also want to inform scholars from all disciplines about our continuing call for papers on all topics pertaining to Korean religion. Submissions and inquiries should be sent to the Managing Editor: journalkr at sogang.ac.kr. Style guidelines can be found here: http://bit.ly/JKRsubguide

For more information about the Journal of Korean Religions, please see our journal's website: http://jkr.sogang.ac.kr/. You can also find us digitally on Project Muse, JSTOR, and the Thomson Reuters A&HCI.

Best wishes,
Seong Nae Kim
Don Baker
Editors-in-Chief, Journal of Korean Religions