[KS] Foreign libraries partnering with the National Library of Korea?

Hyoungbae Lee hyoungl at Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 23 09:55:54 EDT 2018

Dear Andrew,

Frank already covered most of the necessary information.

The National Library of Korea (NLK) and the National Assembly Library (NAL) allow an access only from registered IP addresses with authentication plug-in installed.

The number of registered PC's varies depending on the setup of each institution.

Princeton University Library is among those cooperating libraries with both NLK and NAL, and we have 5 designated PCs in the East Asian Library.

Remote access is not allowed as Frank mentioned, even though those PCs are open to public.

Access level is different depending on items, and especially so for copyrighted ones.

Some are accessible and partially printable, others are accessible but not printable.

Certain resources are not accessible at all from cooperating libraries, and you have to be physically in NLK or NAL to see them online.

You will see the access level of each title, as shown in the captured search result below.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D43AC7.744949D0]

So I guess your best bet will be to find the nearest cooperating library.

It is always recommend to check on the NLK or NAL website if the resources that you want are accessible before you visit.

Best,

Hyoungbae

Hyoungbae Lee

Korean Studies Librarian

East Asian Library

33 Frist Campus Center Rm 307A

Princeton University

Princeton, NJ 08544

Telephone: (609) 258-0417

Fax: (609) 258-4573

E-mail: HYOUNGL at PRINCETON.EDU<mailto:HYOUNGL at PRINCETON.EDU>