[KS] Foreign libraries partnering with the National Library of Korea?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Wed Aug 22 23:54:37 EDT 2018

Hello Andrew (and List Subscribers):

With National Library you probably do indeed refer to the National
Library 국립중앙도서관 (and not the National Assembly Library 국회도서관
), as Jong-Sung You indicated. But let's answer this for both, as both
have absolutely stunning collections.

IMPORTANT:
You will have to use a computer within the cooperating library (in most
cases the East Asia library of that institution). These coop
agreements, to the best of my knowledge, do not allow universities to
offer any proxy logins (e.g. from your home, if you are a student or
professor there). This is at least true for the "special collections"
such as scanned handwritten documents, non-published government
records, scanned photo collections, etc. That seems also the same
policy for cooperating libraries in Korea itself (please correct me if
I am wrong).

(1) National Library of Korea 국립중앙도서관
    (a) Apart from below links, also see www.dlibrary.go.kr.)
    (b) General SEARCH:
        http://www.nl.go.kr/nl/dataSearch/data_own.jsp
        (In most cases you will need to use Windows as an OS and
download a reader app. to access unrestricted docs.)
    (c) Overseas partner libraries with digital access (see my remark
above):
        https://nl.go.kr/nl/intro/service/convention_lib.jsp
        ==> Left of the SEARCH window, under "도서관" choose "해외도서관
," leave search window empty, click in SEARCH button to see a list of
all the non-Korean libraries with access ... also see the Han'gŭl
entries (!), e.g., Chicago U shows up as 시카고대학교도서관.

(2) National Assembly Library of Korea (대한민국) 국회도서관
    (a) General Search:
        http://dl.nanet.go.kr/index.do
    (b) Overseas partner libraries with digital access (see my remark
above):
        https://www.nanet.go.kr/comnet/academeet/organInfoView.do
        ==> click on the "해외" tab (in the list 학술정보상호협력 협정체
결 기관 ...), and then possibly a continent's name

For other basic links to Korean library resources, see my links at:
http://koreanstudies.com/3_books.html
http://koreanstudies.com/18_history.html
http://koreanstudies.com/13_news.html

Best,