[KS] CFP: JKS Special Issue "Between the Sacred and the Secular: Christianity as Lived Experience in Modern Korea"

Jooyeon Kim jk2857 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 16 11:52:10 EST 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS

"Between the Sacred and the Secular:

Christianity as Lived Experience in Modern Korea"

For a special issue of the Journal of Korean Studies

A One-day Workshop at Columbia University, November 6, 2018

We invite proposals for a workshop on the theme, "Between the Sacred and the
Secular: Christianity as Lived Experience in Modern Korea."

Modern Korea has been characterized as a "secular" country, but since its
introduction to Korea in the late nineteenth century Protestant Christianity
(hereafter Christianity) has long been a critical force in shaping virtually
every aspect of modern Korean life. Christianity in Korea has been
intertwined with shifting political conditions, such as Western imperialism,
Japanese colonialism, modern nation-state building, democracy movements and
neoliberalism. It has also had a significant impact upon class formation,
gender relations and everyday life practices. Furthermore, South Korea has
become a prominent player in global Christianity, a leader in sending
missionaries overseas. How should we understand the ubiquitous presence of
Christianity in "secular" modern Korea? Recent scholarship suggests that the
boundary between the sacred/religious and the secular/material has never
been clear-cut; rather, it has been and remains fluid and constitutive.

We invite proposals that shed new light on the dynamic, sometimes
conflicting and sometimes synergistic relationships that exist between the
sacred and the secular in Korea. We are particularly interested in analyses
that tease out the subtle but pervasive influence of Christianity within the
sociopolitical, economic, cultural and affective domains. Taking Korea as a
case study, we aim to offer significant insights into the intersection of
the religious with the secular, material and social.

The workshop is being organized by the Center for Korean Research (CKR) of
Columbia University with generous support from the Academy of Korean Studies
(AKS-2016-OLU-2250006). The cost of accommodation, meals, and transportation
will be covered for workshop participants, contingent upon budget
availability. Please send a 300-word abstract and a brief biographical
sketch that includes a list of representative publications by March 31, 2018
to the workshop organizer, Hyaeweol Choi ( <mailto:hyaeweol.choi at anu.edu.au>
hyaeweol.choi at anu.edu.au).

Jooyeon Kim
Managing Editor