[KS] A special exhibition in Seoul

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Mon Nov 19 02:17:26 EST 2018

Sorry to reply to both of your postings today, Brother Anthony.
I do have a question about the Dilkusha house. Min and me visited it in
2007 (see photos), while the area around it was "redeveloped"
(bulldozed down and replaced by the usual high-rise cages). At the time
there was still a small plate by the street identifying it as the
Bethel House where the _Maeil sinbo_ had been printed. That was
obviously wrong, and a somewhat surprising claim to start with, since
its style is hardly that of a pre-1910s building. Without knowing who
the architect was, my immediate thought was that it must have been a
Japanese architect who planned and constructed the house. The Korean
press, however, continues to speculate -- based on some story-telling
-- that it was a German architect. By all means, I cannot exclude that,
but it would certainly surprise me big time, looking at many of its
stylistic details (look e.g. at details like this:
http://www.dapsa.kr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/P5147799-2015_05_14.jpg).
And the time, 1923, would not suggest so either. My question: has there
been any further historical research made in preparation of this
exhibition, and do we now know who the architect was?