[KS] McCune-Reischauer Romanization System creators

Richard McBride rick_mcbride17 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:39:20 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues

I remember that a year or two ago a member of our list posted an interesting fact that the McCune-Reischauer Romanization system was actually created by a few Korean scholars.  But the two Western scholars' names were used to provide "legitimacy" for the system.  Unfortunately I did not save that post. Could somebody confirm this story and provide the names of the two scholars?

Best
Rick McBride

Richard D. McBride II, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Asian and Near Eastern Languages
Brigham Young University
3083 JFSB
Provo, UT 84604
office phone: (801) 422-7672