[KS] AKSE Newsletter No. 43--Solicitation of information

James B. Lewis jay.lewis at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 26 06:58:10 EDT 2019

To AKSE colleagues in Europe (members of the Association for Korean
Studies in Europe)

Dear colleagues,

The AKSE Newsletter is a precious record of Korean Studies in Europe,
and it has been continuously published for the past 43 years.

At the 29^th AKSE Conference in Rome, I volunteered to take over the
compilation and editing of the /AKSE Newsletter/ from my capable
predecessor, Professor Vladimir Tikhonov. At the same time, the Council
decided to re-build its format for publication of the /AKSE Newsletter/
and upload more archival material to better preserve the history of
Korean Studies in Europe. We envision a more interactive format that
will allow you to update your entries, broadcast your latest successes
in the promotion of Korean Studies in Europe, and easily search for and
compile information on colleagues and other Korean Studies programmes
across Europe. These efforts are on-going, but in the interim, I would
like to solicit information from you for the 43^rd /AKSE Newsletter/ in
the old format so that we will have up-to-date information when we
create our new version.

I know that many people are about to depart for vacation, but I would
ask that you please send me a report for your institution for the
academic year of autumn 2018 to autumn 2019 by *15 September*. I request
that this report in MS WORD and sent to:

Email address: jay.lewis at orinst.ox.ac.uk

More detailed submission guidelines are below.

Yours sincerely,

Jay Lewis

---------

AKSE Newsletter 43

FORMAT FOR INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED

All members of AKSE and subscribers to the /Newsletter/ are urged to
submit materials to the Newsletter Editor for inclusion in Newsletter
43. Any information pertaining to academic Korean Studies in Europe is
welcome. Submissions may be made in French, German or English, but
English submissions are strongly preferred. Please organise the
information into the following categories:

1. General Information: You may include basic information about your
department or program, such as the names of main faculty members,
assistant instructors, and visiting scholars.

2. Academic Program: You may include here reports on the academic
programme of study at a university or other academic institution,
including reports on new developments in the programme of study, the
number of students pursuing a particular degree course, numbers of
graduates, or any other information relating to the academic programme
of Korean Studies during the past year.

3. Seminars and Lectures: You may provide a list of seminars and
lectures on Korea at your university during the past year. For each
event, please give the date (in the format, day-month-year), title of
the talk, and the event and venue.

4. Other Activities: Activities relating to Korean Studies which took
place in your institution or country during the past year. Reports of
performances, concerts, radio, TV, or online programmes on Korea, and
any outreach activities to the wider public should be included here.

5. Scholars' Reports: You may include any papers presented, research
undertaken or contemplated, performances presented, conferences
attended, or any other scholarly activity related to Korean Studies.
Publications, however, should NOT be included here, but under category 6
below. Please note that a separate paragraph should be written for each
person for whom information is provided. For talks and paper
presentations, the format should be: date (day-month-year), title of the
paper, name of the event, and name of the venue.

6. Publications: You may include here your own publications or the
publications of anyone else in your country which may be of serious
interest to scholars of Korean Studies. You should NOT list any
publications that are due to be published in the following academic
year.As a model, see the format used under entries for any university.

7. Announcements: Include here any announcements of forthcoming events
or requests for information from members of AKSE or readers of the
/Newsletter/. Also include information on any changes of address or
other contact details.

PLEASE NOTE: Romanisation of Korean words and terms can be done
according to either the Revised Romanization System or the
McCune-Reischauer System unless the Yale System is used for linguistic
purposes or a conventional spelling of a name is used. Spelling of
English words may follow either British or American conventions. You may
include 한글or 漢子to identify names and other proper nouns but be aware
that they may be edited out of your submission. Please do not use
superscript text, because it will appear too small to be easily readable.

All information MUST be in provided in MSWord format and be sent as an
email attachment.

For examples of previous submissions, please refer to previous
/Newsletters/ (http://94.136.40.103/~koreanstudies.eu/?page_id=48).

Materials to be included must reach the Editor by 15 SEPTEMBER 2019.

Dr. James B. Lewis

Associate Professor of Korean History, Fellow of Wolfson College

Oriental Institute, University of Oxford