[KS] Engage Korea online course: 'Considering Economic Engagement'

Matthew Bates matthewbe at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 26 10:52:48 EDT 2019

As the international community reconsiders its engagement with the DPRK amidst unprecedented extent of economic sanctions, an online course launching soon invites participants to contemplate the variety of possible implications of economic engagement initiatives.
'Considering Economic Engagement' is a course that provides participants with knowledge of economic data analysis, international law, the DPRK legal system, geopolitical history and other relevant disciplines to help them make sophisticated economic and ethical judgements about existing or potential economic projects and/or policies. The course is hosted by Engage Korea, a humanitarian initiative.
Our lecturers include leading scholars and practitioners with first-hand experience of economic engagement who include:
- Stephen Haggard (UC San Diego and Peterson Institute of International Economics)
- Kim Byung-Yeon (Seoul National University)
- Erich Weingartner (Cankor, founding Head of the Food Aid Liaison Unit during 1997-1999 in DPRK)
- Balazs Szalontai (Korea University)
- Ramon Pacheco Pardo (Kings College London and Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
- Adam Cathcart (University of Leeds)
- Tristan Webb (University of Kent, formerly UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
The course runs for 8 weeks from August 5, 2019. There will be live on-line Q&A sessions with selected lecturers during the course.
This is the third iteration of the course that has received strong positive feedback from participants. In previous years those taking the course have included many university students (last year the Hamburg University Korean Studies department offered credit to students successfully completing the course) as well as academics, think tank researchers, experienced Korea-watchers and international financial institution professionals.
Engage Korea is a voluntary initiative and a $5 course fee will cover online programming expenses. We are accepting applications until July 31, 2019.
Course title: Considering Economic Engagement
Dates: August 5 - Sept 29 2019
Application Deadline: July 31, 2019
Application Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIW0JEIeSGCbQaJ_7p9xYVctlZHqsoW-Bv6iUXEuqcxjdRjA/viewform<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fforms%2Fd%2Fe%2F1FAIpQLSdIW0JEIeSGCbQaJ_7p9xYVctlZHqsoW-Bv6iUXEuqcxjdRjA%2Fviewform%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2rPfYT3sHWmicr6ZvoJl2wRghb1sESw7V4Kr-he3GH3qDQfqBDzqtTD9U&h=AT2eZhSjQkboxDsDrLu34xIQqYzFFZGDjtur8W4_Gn4gAcdAV80gXFGXikAQGtR2sjHYp-3oKgPFjCurpwvwBY63k9yahyvnMbw7gz-NSHlwnb1xVb_Z5KQ6yQR9kxrjTqVWrtfV4stRnS9WM9k>
Participant testimonies:
"This online class encouraged me to continue my North Korea study and supported me academically and emotionally. I want to express my appreciation again!”
"Finally, can I thank you both for putting this course together and for accepting my application - I really can't stress enough how much I enjoyed the course and the huge amount I learnt whilst taking part and hopefully the opportunity will arise such that our paths cross again!”
"I can't find the right words to describe my amazement from attending your course. I feel very lucky to attend your course as an observer. At the beginning I was very skeptical, but after watching and participating in the Q&A with all the well-known scholars and practitioners, I must admit that I have learnt a lot about North Korea. I want to thank you for allowing me to participate in this course.”

---

About Engage Korea

Engage Korea is a student­-driven humanitarian and educational initiative on the DPRK (or "North Korea") (www.engagekorea.org<http://www.engagekorea.org/>). Since 2013, we have hosted academic conferences on the topic of humanitarian engagement with the DPRK and offered web-based courses on health and economic engagement efforts.