[KS] Terry Bennett's Photo Collection

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Jul 14 02:16:30 EDT 2020

Just to say thanks for the insights, Brother Anthony.
Quite interesting! The harsh discrepancy between the propagated
emphasis on traditional culture, especially court culture, and the fast
and rigorous disassembling of anything left of traditional Korean
culture (e.g. having turned Seoul into what looks like some Amazon
warehouse space) was long something very visible to many. The
disinterest in preservation as such, on the other hand, is something
that only shows when put in international perspective. Over the years I
have not seen much of an awareness on this issue in Korea. My immediate
add-on question after reading your note below is: is this the result of
rapid modernization under mostly authoritarian rule and the creation of
a system of value priorities that characterize the inner workings of
such a system itself, or does it have much older roots that are
possibly explained by Korea having been a mostly agrarian, rural
society?

Best,
Frank