[KS] Request for attention: Damage to the Korean heritage, ‘Jungdo historic site’

Marion Eggert marion.eggert at rub.de
Wed Jul 15 03:24:20 EDT 2020

I am posting this message in agreement with and on behalf of the author,
Park Eunseo. Please direct all inquries to her.

Betreff: 	Dear. Dr. Marion Eggert / Please attention a damage of the
Korean heritage, ‘Jungdo historic site’
Datum: 	Tue, 7 Jul 2020 13:40:31 +0900
Von: 	Eunseo Park <jungdoofrok at gmail.com>
An: 	marion.eggert at rub.de

Hello *Dr. Marion Eggert*. My name is Park Eunseo. I am university
student in Korea. Because I am interested in history and urban system,
now I am study Korean history and Urban study in university.
I am a member of VANK. VANK(Voluntary Agency Network of Korea) is cyber
diplomatic organization founded in Korea. We are working for introducing
Korea to the world and solving global issues wisely to change the world.
The reason why I send you message is I want to tell you about breaking
news in ROK and ask you illuminate this situation.
Recently, in Korean history class, when I studied archaeological site of
Korea, I found that a site called ‘Jungdo historic site’, has been
destroyed because of constructing Lego Land. UNESCO Declaration said
that “damage to cultural property belonging to any people whatsoever
means damage to the cultural heritage of all mankind, since each people
makes its contribution to the culture of the world”. So, I ask you for a
help to illuminate this damage to the cultural heritage of all mankind
and here is some information about ‘Jungdo historic site’ of Korea and
current situation.
‘Jungdo historic site’ is prehistoric sites which located in Gangwon-do
Province in the Republic of Korea. Lutz Fiedler, an archaeology
professor at the University of Marburg, Germany, said about the Jungdo
remains that Jungdo is valuable enough to be compared to the Stonehenge
and Machu Picchu. And he added that “it should not be damaged under any
circumstances”. Also, after around four years of joint excavation with
the participation of seven teams, the head of the joint team called
Jungdo as a ‘world-class historic site like a historic palace’.
Nevertheless, the Gangwon-do provincial government has not preserved the
Jungdo site, but severely destroyed it in the process of developing the
Legoland for 9 years since its hosting in September in 2011. Except the
northern of this place, Jungdo is the site where prehistoric artifacts
were excavated. Especially, the place where the construction started
is the unique large-scale graveyard of the rulers’ dolmens of the Bronze
Age. Therefore, when the construction finish, the historical site will
be gone.
Moreover, the developer, ‘Merlin Entertainment’ from the United Kingdom,
and Gangwon-do Province set the location of the center of the Jungdo
historic site, where there are large-scale dolmens, as the center of
Legoland. As soon as excavated, the dolmens were eliminated for the
construction of the main building – firstly planned as a 15th-floor
hotel. After relocating the dolmens and burying around 3,000 relics of
the Bronze Age, they obtained permission to build tourist entertainment
facilities.
Since Lego Land expect to finish the construction in 2021, if no
sanctions are imposed, we might be lost a great historical site which
might be a next worldwide prehistorical site fallow by Stonehenge.
So now we began an online petition for this heritage.
www.maywespeak.com/dolmen/ <http://www.maywespeak.com/dolmen/>

I would appreciate it if you write and illuminate this situation and
make all of people around world know about this terrible thing.
You can get more information here:
http://dolmen.prkorea.com
Here is a article that is written by another platfom.
https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-general/legoland-0013837
If you have any question about this problem, please do not hesitate and
contact me.
Here is my email: jungdoofrok at gmail.com <mailto:jungdoofrok at gmail.com>

Thank you.