[KS] Study abroad cancellations

Stephanie Kim Stephanie.Kim at georgetown.edu
Sun Mar 1 12:34:23 EST 2020

Hi Rob,

My university has placed a university-wide moratorium on any school
sponsored travel to China and South Korea for students as well as faculty
and staff for an indefinite period. Georgetown has also been more quietly
cancelling institutionally sponsored trips to other destinations (Japan,
etc.). I am scheduled to lead an international study tour to Qatar over
spring break, but I've already been given a heads up that it will likely be
cancelled and that I should start thinking about alternative delivery
methods.

With that said, at least with shorter study trips such as the one I was
going to lead, the students will be given an option to withdraw from the
course or continue with the course through an alternative delivery, which
I'm now expected to lead. I anticipate most students will continue with the
course since withdrawing will affect their graduation timeline. I'm
planning to set up a series of Zoom chats with our Doha-based guest
speakers and various online learning activities to make up for the week we
would have had abroad.

I understand that many Korean universities are offering their classes
online due to the outbreak. Perhaps this might be a potential alternative
to forcing all students to withdraw for the semester?

Stephanie

*Stephanie K. Kim*
Assistant Professor of the Practice
Faculty Director of Higher Education Administration
Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies
640 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001
Office: 202.784.2731
Email: stephanie.kim at georgetown.edu