[KS] Family History pre-1950

Clark W Sorensen sangok at uw.edu
Fri May 15 11:54:35 EDT 2020

Abbie

In South Korea family records (hojŏk = koseki) are kept at the township level (myŏn) in rural areas and I think at the district level (ku) in urban areas. While current material is digitized, older records are kept in storage and one would have to make a personal visit to the spot, I think, to get access to them. That would be the township office (myŏn samosa) in rural areas, and the district office (kuch’ŏng) in urban areas. More importantly you have to be able to identity the county and township (kun, myŏn) that your ancestors came from before searching for records. If you can find out the clan seat (pon’gwan) and surname of your ancestor, then people with local knowledge might know where those clans were located within a particular county.

Clark Sorensen