[KS] Chapter on Korean ki suryŏn by Victoria Ten in a book recently published by Amsterdam University Press

Victoria Ten yoneun at gmail.com
Sat May 23 11:14:10 EDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Victoria Ten <yoneun at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 23, 2020, 10:35
Subject: Chapter on Korean ki suryŏn by Victoria Ten in a book recently
published by Amsterdam University Press
To: <koreanstudies-owner at koreanstudies.com>

I would like to draw attention to my book chapter *Transforming the Self in
Contemporary Korean Ki Suryŏn (氣修練) Water, Wood, and Stone in Two GiCheon
(氣天) DVDs *in a book *Contemporary Practices of Citizenship in Asia and the
West: Care of the Self* recently published by Amsterdam University Press

Korean *ki suryŏn* (氣修練 cultivation of body and mind using *ki*-life
energy) is becoming more popular internationally. GiCheon (氣天), a
particular type of *ki suryŏn*, is portrayed here as an alchemical practice
of embodied knowledge. The term ‘technologies of the self’ (from Michel
Foucault) means practices of the self, but here also includes technical
tools, such as videos, DVDs, fijilms, and websites. This chapter shows how
the visual iconography of DVDs, advertising GiCheon, reflect the values of
their creators, but also are instrumental for self-cultivation, by subtly
programming our ways of living, acting, feeling, and perceiving. And when
the human body is represented on screen, as it is in in *ki suryŏn* DVDs,
then this programming intensifies.

[image: image.png]

https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789462984721/contemporary-practices-of-citizenship-in-asia-and-the-west

Sincerely,