[KS] Pedagogical Approaches to Japanese/Korean Linguistics (virtual workshop)

Hae-Sung Jeon HJeon1 at uclan.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 17:33:16 EDT 2021

Pedagogical Approaches to Japanese/Korean Linguistics (JK29 Satellite Workshop)

8 October 2021 Friday (19:40 - 22:00 Japan)

The aim of this virtual workshop is to create a forum to exchange good practice, tools, resources, creative ideas and our visions in teaching Japanese/Korean linguistics. In particular, we wish to exchange ideas and resources on how to incorporate our research into teaching.

This is a virtual workshop and registration is free. For more information, please visit https://sites.google.com/site/haesungjeon/pedagogical-approaches-to-japanesekorean-linguistics

Speakers/Titles

·        Vera Hanaoka (University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, USA), Incorporating data analysis into an undergraduate Japanese sociolinguistics course

·        Kiyoko Toratani (York University, Canada), A case study of a term-end project on sound-symbolism

·        Sakaya Abe (Middlebury College, USA), Developing Variation and Change in Japanese: Utilizing insights from historical linguistic

Workshop session: Creating Inclusive Teaching Materials in Japanese/Korean Linguistics

A pre-recorded video on the guidance for creating inclusive teaching materials will be available by 15th September. Accessibility of teaching materials is important for supporting disabled students and other student groups such as international students and socio-economically disadvantaged students, but the materials with accessible design will eventually benefit all learners.

We recommend that you improve your teaching materials (e.g., handouts, slides, or any other materials) following the guidance. There will be a session where you can share your materials with colleagues for feedback on further improvement. The exact format will depend on the number of participants. If you would like to participate, please register to the workshop by 20th September.

Please note that this workshop is specifically designed for teaching Japanese/Korean Linguistics, not for teaching a language. However, we are more than happy to discuss any materials relevant to linguistics teaching (e.g., presenting written script in Japanese/Korean).

__
Dr Hae-Sung Jeon | Senior Lecturer
Research Degrees Tutor
HLGS Equality, Diversity and Inclusion/Athena SWAN Project Lead
AB143 Adelphi Building
School of Humanities, Language and Global Studies
Faculty of Culture and the Creative Industries
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1772 893143<tel:%2B44%20%280%291772%20893143> | HJeon1 at uclan.ac.uk<mailto:HJeon1 at uclan.ac.uk>
https://sites.google.com/site/haesungjeon/