[KS] Oxford International History of East Asia Seminar CfP

Youngchan Justin Choi youngchan.j.choi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:12:03 EST 2022

Dear list members,

The Oxford International History of East Asia Seminar convenors invite
proposals for the summer (Trinity Term) 2022 session of the Oxford
International History of East Asia Research Seminar.

We invite *fellow PhD students and early career researchers *to submit
proposals for seminar presentations on any aspect of the international and
transnational history of East and Southeast Asia, *particularly papers on
the nineteenth and twentieth centuries*. We are interested both in
proposals exploring international and transnational connections within and
between East and Southeast Asia as well as proposals considering the
interaction of East/Southeast Asia and the wider world, including Africa,
Latin America, Central Asia, and elsewhere.

We look forward to proposals for papers on a broad range of international
and transnational history topics, including not only traditional
state-to-state relations, but also the flow of people, goods and ideas
between states and/or non-state actors, the role of transnational
organisations, and the importance of culture, identity, race, and gender in
international and transnational history, to name just a few.
Interdisciplinary approaches with a strong historical focus are also
welcome.

The seminar is open to Oxford and non-Oxford speakers alike. All convenors
are current graduate students or early career researchers, and the seminar
provides a welcoming environment for invited speakers to present research
at any stage of completion to an audience of students and Oxford faculty
members. This session of seminars will be held *in person and/or online*
during Oxford’s Trinity Term, which is *between 23 April and 18 June 2022*.
Presentations are expected to last between 20 and 30 minutes and are
followed by Q&A.

Those interested in speaking are invited to send a provisional title, *an
abstract no longer than 300 words, and a short biographical note *to
IHEAOxSeminar at gmail.com by *17 March 2022*. Any queries are also welcome,
to the same address.

Further information about the seminar, including details of our programme
of recent events, is available on our Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/OxIHEAS/> and our Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/OxIHEAS>.