[KS] CFP for KLA 2022 due June 15, 2022

Kim, Immanuel ikim52 at email.gwu.edu
Fri Mar 11 16:31:33 EST 2022

Dear friends,

Korean Literature Association Annual Meeting

November 11-12, 2022

University of Oregon

Eugene, OR, USA

The Korean Literature Association cordially invites proposals for its
annual meeting on the theme of *“Resonance”* to be held at the University
of Oregon, Eugene, OR. We invite individual papers and team projects that
reflect on the way resonance can open up and connect Korean literary
studies to the broader human world across disciplinary boundaries,
historical periods, geographical borders, and linguistic systems.

Resonance—derived from its Latin roots *resonare* (resound) and *resonantia*
(echo) and the French *résonance*—refers to a sound or a quality of a
sound. Yet as *The OED* lists, resonance also means the power to evoke
images, memories, and emotions; a sympathetic response; and allusions,
connotations, and overtones. Although the specifications vary, the
overarching concept of resonance involves movement through either
vibration, oscillation, wave, or amplification that leads to a
response—another movement, which together can produce meaning and value.
Using these broad definitions as a starting metaphor and a springboard for
creative extensions, we hope that the theme of “Resonance” allows us to
explore Korean literature by embracing myriad forms, modes, and mechanisms
that are both intimately and distantly connected to what constitutes Korean
literature’s legacies and transformations. In this way, this conference
aims to reconceptualize resonance as an important heuristic device for
Korean literary and cultural studies.

Of particular interest to this endeavor will be discussions on how and
where Korean literature resonates. How might we analyze, interpret, and
ground resonance within Korean literature’s history and its contemporary
making? How can we use resonance as a framework for transdisciplinary and
interdisciplinary work on Korea? How is Korean literature embedded in the
practices of the larger humanities and other fields, such as in the social
sciences and STEM and vice versa? How might the resonances of Korean
literature challenge the long-established theoretical practices and
contribute to the ongoing making of global aesthetics? What are the places,
moments, and instances of dissonance rather than resonance which
nevertheless allow Korean literature to intervene in knowledge building and
problem-solving and illuminating human conditions?

Topics could include but are not limited to the following:

Sound and sonic culture in Korea

Technologies and techniques of writing, reading, listening, seeing

Adaptation, Transemdiality, Intermediality

Premodern and Modern East Asian literary connections

Korean diaspora and Global Korean aesthetics

Digital humanities or Humanizing digitalization

Public humanities and Korean literature

The KLA (http://korlit.org/wp/) seeks submissions from graduate students
and faculty at any stage of their careers who are interested in presenting
papers at the Conference. Individual as well as organized panels are
welcome. Humanities and the study of literature have often been construed
as an individual endeavor rather than a team effort, in this call for
proposals, we are especially interested in seeking projects that bring
teams of researchers together in demonstrating collaborative building of
Korean literary studies. We are currently planning an in-person conference
at the University of Oregon.

The deadline for submissions is June 15, 2022. Please send your 300-word
abstract and a short CV to Jina Kim at jinak at uoregon.edu

--
Immanuel Kim
The Korea Foundation and Kim-Renaud