[KS] A book which might be of interest of those on this list

UBC dbaker at mail.ubc.ca
Fri May 6 18:39:52 EDT 2022

I know we focus on Korea on this mailing list but I’m sure some people are interested in comparisons between Korea and other participants in Sinitic civilization. Here is a new book which does just that. I would appreciate it if you would post this notice about this recent publication.

William F. Pore. Voices on the Loss of National Independence in Korea and Vietnam, 1890-1920: Other States of Mind. Newcastle Upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2021. Pp 383. (Not yet available from Amazon but only from the publisher)

This book fills a recognized need for a comparative study of the anticolonial movements in Korea and Vietnam, two countries not commonly combined within the same geopolitical and historical context. Different though these countries are in several ways, they both shared pasts that were similarly formative in molding the lives, careers, and thought of the two protagonists, Pak Ŭnsik of Korea and Phan Bội Châu of Vietnam, whose works have been examined and which form the basis of comparison. In Southeast Asia, Vietnam has been influenced by Sinitic civilization in ways similar to Korea and to the extent that it can be considered a part of East as well as Southeast Asia. This book reveals how under that influence these two figures not only dealt with the realities of their time, but also how through history, philosophy, experience, emotion, and imagination they came to deal with their countries’ condition and to envision the future and an alternative world order that have pertinence today. Yet this work should not be considered primarily a defense of Sinitic civilization. It also distinctively examines how ethics can be attached to place and how issues that in fact go beyond nationalism loomed large in the minds of the early generation of anticolonial activist-intellectuals.

Don Baker