[KS] Koreanstudies Digest Request: US Missionaries in the early 1900s

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu May 19 03:23:46 EDT 2022

PS:

Is your info is based on this single sentence and/or the _Tongnip_
article from 1945? (See attached image.)
So, I did not know that, the Kwangbokkun (Korean Restoration Army), via
the British, sent nine officers to Burma and India to help fighting the
Japanese. (Amongst them An Wŏn-saeng 安原生, one of the nephews of An
Chung-gŭn, and Ch’oe Tŏk-sin 崔德新 --later responsible for the Kŏch’
ang massacre, then South Korea's foreign minister under Park, then
ambassador to Germany, and since that was too boring finally a high
officer in and for North Korea).
So, anyway, the article then suggests that towards the end of WWII the
Williams were in India. That sure seems strange, because they were
Americans and it was the British who fought the Japanese there. That
indicates the British must have brought in Americans as Japanese
speakers for propaganda broadcasts aimed at the Japanese troops. I
suppose, if that was so (???), then British archives housing WWII docs
relating to India get you more details.