[KS] looking for someone to comment on changgi for a documentary

Namhee Lee namheeleeucla at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:07:31 EDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

A documentary filmmaker, Mr. Howard Burton, is looking for someone
knowledgeable about changgi for his documentary series. Please see his
request below. Please also kindly send your response directly to Mr. Burton
at howard at ideasroadshow.com.

Thank you,
Namhee Lee

--------------

I am currently working on a documentary series on the history of chess,
exploring the long and varied overlap between the game and contemporary
societal values over many different times and places.  As a result, I am
constructing an initial segment devoted to examining so-called "chess
variants"—different versions of chess-like games played throughout the
world (mostly across Asia).  The four principal variants I am considering
exploring are xiangqi (China), shogi (Japan), ouk/makruk (Cambodia and
Thailand) and janggi (Korea).

Please let me know if you have any information of relevant people to
contact with respect to janggi—either those who can meaningfully comment on
its role in Korean culture (to what extent it is a reflection of/window on
particular aspects of Korean culture or to what extent specific aspects of
Korean culture might have led to its unique development) and/or explicit
comparisons of the game itself (on the tactical, strategic or general
sense) wrt chess or other variants.

With much appreciation,

Howard Burton

Ideas Roadshow