[KS] McCune-Reischauer question

AWOOJAlex at aol.com AWOOJAlex at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 23:33:11 EDT 1998

Hello:
I am encountering confusion about McCune-Reischauer system.
I recently read a major art catalogue provided from Korea to a major US
Museum, in which "P'yong'yang" and "chung'in"
(middle people) class are all indicated apostrophe after g.
I would think P'yongyang and chungin are correct but since the catalogue used
apostrophe consistently between "g" and "a vowel,"  I am wondering whether the
editor used a special system that I do not know or whether it is allowed to
put apostrophe in these instances in McCune-Reis system.  I heard that there
is a new system proposed by the Korean government recently.  Is this part of
the correction proposed by this new system?
Sincerely,

Junghee Lee
Department of Art
Portland State University