[KS] Re: first message

Elizabeth Ten Dyke etdyke at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Dec 17 15:50:24 EST 1998

I can imagine that no one wants to "predict" the downfall of the DPRK,
and I can further imagine that no one (expect perhaps people like me who
would derive intellectual satisfaction from watching the process unfold)
would WANT it to occur.  I don't have the exact quotes, but I recall that
on November 10 or 11 1989 prominent Euro-American officials (such as
Margaret Thatcher, George Bush) made understated comments about the
collapse of the GDR such as "This all seems to be happing rather
rapidly."  Yes, German unification has been overwhelmingly expensive both
for the East and the West, not only in terms of things like the currency
union (which was 2 to 1, though the CDU promised 1 to 1 before the
elections in Spring 1990), but in terms of the cost of subsidizing
make-work programs for tens of thousands of unemployed East Germans,
rebuilding infrastructure in the East, revamping school curricula, etc.
Then of course there was the ultimately political cost--the recent loss
of the CDU and Helmut Kohl in national elections.

I can further understand the hesitation of some to anticipate a regime
collapse or even shift in the North based simply on the dire
circumstances of the economy there.  People have pointed to Iraq as a
comparison, where  pressure, and internal privation, only seem to
have strengthed support for Saddam Hussein.  On the other hand, the
circumstances in North Korea are different--if only because of the
existence of the South!!!  The fact that the GDR had a wealthy sister
state, closely linked to the West, presented the East German people, and
government, with a unique and peculiar set of tensions, contradictions and
challenges NOT faced by other central and East European countries.

This is why I wonder about bases for empirical comparison between the GDR
and the North Korean cases.  To what extent is there contact and
communication between ordinary people in the two nations?  In the  German
case there was physical contact and communication (visits East and
West), transfer of material goods (gift packages that arrived often at
Christmas) and media exchange.  East Germans could sit in their homes and
watch programs such as Dallas that depicted an unimaginably extravagant
lifestyle!  Of course, there was also the irritating presence of
Intershops where western goods such as chewing gum and pantyhose were
available--for convertible currency (which many East Germans were able to
acquire through contact with relatives in the West).

There was, also, Hungary.  Is there an Asian Hungary??? That is a state
through which North Koreans (perhaps some of those who have benefited
materially and intellectually from the partial industrialization in the
North) could possibly gain access to the South?  It was of course
Hungary's decision to open its border between the East and West that
facilitated the mass exodus of the summer of 1989.

Also, to what extent is there an intellectual/political elite which may be
increasingly dissatisfied with the status quo, and may seek to initiate
some transformation from within the system???  One of the unresolved
questions of the East German Wende is to what extent it was unofficially
sanctioned, and even furthered, by individuals closely connected with the
Stasi (state security service).  Of course the fall of the state suggests
that if the Stasi sought to initiate change (for example by allowing
public disclosure of electoral fraud in the spring of 1989) the course of
events rapidly spun out of control.

Just some thoughts

Liz Ten Dyke
Dept. of Anthropology