[KS] Fulbright Forum

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Sun Nov 1 20:21:51 EST 1998

------=_NextPart_000_014F_01BE064A.9B1D7C60

The Fulbright Forum revived in Seoul in May, and met again in October.  =
The second fall meeting of the Fulbright forum is now scheduled and we =
want to welcome Koreanists who might be in Seoul and interested in =
Korean foreign policy.  However, in order to prepare the venue (and the =
hors-d'oeuvres!) we need to know if you want to come.  Please respond to =
the RSVP number below.

Horace H. Underwood, Executive Director
Korean-American Educational Commission (Fulbright)
Seoul, Korea
hhu at fulbright.or.kr

FULBRIGHT FORUM!

Fulbright in Seoul (the Korean American Educational Commission)

is pleased to invite you to attend the season's second=20

Fulbright Forum.

Balbina Y. Hwang, current Fulbright grantee and a doctoral candidate at =
Georgetown University, will speak on: "Globalization and National =
Identity in Korea: Koryo Faces the World." This paper is based in part =
on the chapter "The Ideational Sources of Korean Foreign Policy" to be =
published in a volume edited by Dr. Moon Chung In, Department of =
Political Science at Yonsei University, and which will also form the =
basis for her dissertation on "Ideas, Identity and the Domestic Sources =
of Korean Foreign Economic Policy."

The Fulbright program in Korea and around the world has been at the =
forefront of globalization, but has also sometimes been perceived =
(erroneously) as a danger to national identity. This is a significant =
academic topic for Korea in the midst of an international economic =
crisis. We hope Ms. Hwang's presentation will be followed by a heated =
discussion.

We welcome all Fulbrighters to the Forum, both senior lecturers and =
junior researchers, as well as Board Members, Fulbright alumni, Peace =
Corps alumni, Korean studies scholars, international political =
scientists, and other friends of Korea and members of the Fulbright =
family.=20

And of course come for the famous Fulbright Forum hors-d'oeuvres!

Place: Fulbright offices