[KS] New Transcription

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Sun Oct 25 11:00:30 EST 1998

Dear list,

Quite some time I wrote that a new transcription of Hamels handwriting maybe
appropriate,

I did, and though I am finished writing it on paper, I am not finished in
typing it, nevertheless I have put part of it on the web, you can find it at

<http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/hamel.htm>http://www.henny-savenije.dem
on.nl/hamel.htm

Thanks to Sung Jong Paik we made one big discovery,

Everybody transcribes Hamels distance between Pusan and ... Osacca, but
reading
it carefully I discovered a small dash through the O, and that O was exactly
used by Hamel to write "Oost" (East) Hacca, Mr. Paik pointed out very well
that
hacca could be  the Korean pronunciation of Shimonoseki. (Ha-kwan)

Jan Boonstra measured (in Singapore, he told me "probably not very accurate")
Pusan - Shimonoseki 180 Km, already with the assumption made before about the
"Hamel Mijl" of 7.4 the distance is remarkably accurate

In the introduction on the webpage you can see why, what everybody read as
sacca, could be read as hacca as well,

For the transcription of the names it's worthwhile to scan though the document
as well, in the future I will make a word by word translation (which will be
weird English, but makes it better to understand, WHAT exactly he has written,
and what it means)

But since I am also following a course in Chinese I won't be in to explain
things, but please have somebody who does read Dutch give some explanations,
again I am still working on it and it might be a bit premature, but I was so
excited I couldn't help sharing it. There might be some typos in it, (though
not many) but definitely not in the names of the cities.

All the best
-------

Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/index2.htm
and you can feel the thrill about the adventures of Hamel in Korea (1653-1666)