[KS] Re: Korean Poetry/Culture

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 22 20:26:59 EST 1999

I can say with some confidence that there are no North Korean women poets
who have written on or otherwise engaged the subject of ...spiritual
healing... and opppression... whose works have been translated into
English.  Venturing further with this line of thought, I would add that
those North Korean poets who have written on the subject of oppression are
writing about the United States and its policies, as far as I have seen.
There are several (South Korean) women poets whose work is included in the
third volume of the Modern Poetry Anthology published by Cha'ngjak kwa
Pip'yông whose work touches on what might be thought of as shamanistic
themes--  very close, I would imagine, to the subject of your project.

D. McCann