[KS] Re: maps of Korea

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Tue Jul 6 16:02:05 EDT 1999

This would be a nice discussion which I would to hear. When did the name of
this body of water change. Since the French maps are based
on the works of the Jesuits residing in Beijing, they still call it
something similar as Korean Sea, or Korean Gulf. So I assume the Chinese
called it that way is well. When did this name giving change? I noticed the
same peculiarity when I was looking for maps about Korea, so I am really
curious. I don't have the space to store and show 150 maps, so I made a
collection but I definitely would encourage an effort to show all the 150
maps. If they're scanned it won't be difficult to make them available on
the web, just copy these two webpages, and replace the maps for the ones
you have. I am even willing to help to make these pages.

At 07:44 PM 7/6/1999 , you wrote:
>The Korean Heritage Library of the University of Southern California has a
>collection of about 150 mostly European maps of 17th-19th century,
>featuring Asia.  There are a few featuring the world. One curious
>characteristic of our collection has to do with the name of the body of
>water between Japan and Korea.  Most maps in our collection calls it the
>"Sea of Korea" (or its equivalent depending on the language of the map)
>rather than the more commonly known the "Sea of Japan".  Our maps have been
>scanned, but they are not yet on the Web.  Our goal is to make them
>available on the Web.

Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)