[KS] Re: AKSE Conference and the International Dimension

B.C.A. Walraven walraven at letmail.let.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Mar 17 11:45:00 EST 1999

When the discussion about AKSE and Korea and International Relations began
I was already on my way to Boston, to the Annual Meeting of the AAS (where,
by the way, this topic is not so well represented either), so that I could
not react immediately.

I just want to say that no topic is "privileged". For each section of the
AKSE conference there are convenors who select the papers (all the papers)
that seem interesting to them. There is no fixed quotum for any one
subject. This means that in some years there will be many papers in, for
instance, linguistics and few in pre-modern history, and that the next time
it is the other way around. There is no bias against any subject (although
in the past we avoided politically sensitive issues, because we wanted AKSE
to be an Association for scholars in both Eastern and Western Europe).

Boudewijn Walraven
AKSE President