[KS] icas-2 panel on reform in Korea

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at rz.hu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 19 03:45:47 EST 2000

*************************
Sorry if you receive this message twice; I have posted it on both lists.
*************************

Dear colleagues,

for the upcoming ICAS2 conference in August 2001 in Berlin I try to
organize a panel on reform in Korea. The basic idea is to present different
perspectives on reform and see whether we can identify some common
characteristics (constants) and differences (variables). Reform in the
sense of the panel would mean substantial changes in structures and
behavior in the society which have been initiated by single persons, groups
of persons or institutions. Examples would be reforms of the administrative
structure, corporate governance reforms, reforms of taxation, educational
reforms etc. There is no specified period for the reforms, so the Three
Kingdoms would be as fine as the Sixth Republic. On the contrary, it would
be interesting to contrast "ancient" reforms with more recent ones. The
analytical framework could consist of points like:
- who initiated the reforms?
- how were the reforms enforced?
- were the outcomes of the reforms as desired?
- how was the reception of the reforms?
- were the reforms driven by internal or external forces?
- have the reforms been reverted?

This is only to stimulate your thoughts. In fact, the question of the
proper analytical framework could be the topic of an extra paper at the
beginning of the panel. Volunteers and suggestions are welcome.

Up to now, there will be one presentation on democratic reforms, one on
corporate reforms under Kim Dae-jung and one on sectoral reform in South
Korean telecommunications. A discussant will comment on industrial policy
reforms in the RoK. Therefore, colleagues focussing on other areas than
Economics and on periods before the 20th century are especially (but not
exclusively) encouraged to participate either as panelists or as discussants.

Wouldn't it be great to show that there really is the possibility of
synergy effects between traditional and modern Korean Studies?

I am most grateful for your comments and suggestions. Would you think that
such an approach could be successful? Do you know of similar examples and
of their fate? Would you like to present a paper or act as discussant? I am
looking forward to your response, which should please go directly to me:

rfrank at koreanstudies.de

Yours,

Ruediger Frank
Ruediger FRANK