[KS] Movie with English subtitles

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Mon Feb 28 22:02:43 EST 2000

Dear Korean-Studies Colleagues:

For years I have been complaining that while Koreans show their movies with
subtitles all around the world, they don't show them in Korea itself.  The
city with the greatest number of "foreigners-interested-in-Korea" is Seoul
itself.  A few years ago the movie "Ku som-e kago sipda" (Anglicized as "To
the Starry Island") was shown with subtitles and foreigners flocked to see
what was not actually such a wonderful movie.  Finally, I then thought,
people will realize there IS demand for subtitled movies in Korea itself,
and such showings will become a regular thing.  Nope.  Nothing.  Even in
Singapore you can see commercial showings of Korean films with English
subtitles on a random weekday.  But not in Seoul.

Now there is such an opportunity.  The highly acclaimed movie "Peppermint
Candy" (Pakha sat'ang) is being shown with English subtitles at two theatres
ONLY THIS FRIDAY MARCH 3.

The theatres are the Theater Lumiere in Kangnam and the Shinchon Grand
Theater  near Yonsei.  Showings are the same at both theatres:  11:30,
13:50; 16:10; 18:30; 20:50.  Reservations can apparently be made at
3462-8400.  I hope you will all take advantage of this opportunity if you
are in Seoul this weekend, and tell anyone you meet how this kind of
opportunity should continue.

Horace H. Underwood, Executive Director
Korean-American Educational Commission (Fulbright)
Seoul, Korea
hhu at fulbright.or.kr