[KS] Re: Korean-English dictionaries

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Mon Feb 21 21:33:38 EST 2000

One of the first was compiled in 1890 by my great grandfather, Horace G.
Underwood.  I've never even looked at it, but Prof. Nam Ki-shim of the
Korean dept at Yonsei asked me a few years ago whether HGU had studied
either linguistics or had studied Korean much before his arrival in Korea.
I said as far as I knew, no linguistics and only a few months of Korean in
Japan before he arrived on April 5, 1885.  Dr. Nam was gracious enough to
say the dictionary was pretty good, and expressed surprise that someone
could produce such a volume within 5 years of arrival.

Horace H. Underwood