[KS] Re: More on HKT

Mickey Hong hong at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU
Mon Feb 28 20:03:07 EST 2000

I should've specified "Korean Neo-Confucian society, that which was
hypocritical as any society then as now."  I'm sorry if you missed the
sarcasm.

Yes, character was supposed to be more important than one's birth but...I
think we're all aware of the actual practice that took place.  Confucianism is
a highly structured moral order & it believed in the mandate of Heaven.  Very
lofty--if only the Heaven ever actually struck dead someone unfit to rule.
Pls take this w/ a sense of humor.

Of course, in any "ideal" system, including modern democracy, one should be
evaluated upon one's own skill than connection yet this doesn't always work
out.  Sigh.

To just believe & to practice are 2 different things.  Ho^ Kyun did both--it's
what distinguishes him.  He explicitly expressed his beliefs in writing, not
only in _Hong KT ch^on_ but also in _Yujae ron_.  He had no qualms about being
friends w/ many so^ja.

Something really was rotten in the Kingdom of Choso^n when one realizes that a
genius (I also hate to use that word but...) like O^ Sukkw^on was only a minor
official b/c of his origin.

-Mickey Hong