[KS] Re: dog-eating

Robert Armstrong chonan99 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 19 23:17:01 EDT 2000

       Sorry to bring up the subject again but I have been away for a couple
of days.  Commenting on Mr. Millers statement:

Alas, I have no sources to which to point you on the issue of dog-eating,
> > but I will hazard the guess that turn-of-the-century European/American
> > visitors to Korea, if they had any experience in Asia at all, were
>likely
> > not surprised at the practice.

       Dr. Allen when he was treating Min (I don't remember which one) after
the 1884 coup attempt made the comment that Min was a cannibal.  When Min
asked him the reason that he thought that, Allen told him that there were
dogs outside eating the bodies of the executed rebels and that by eating the
dogs the Koreans were also eating the flesh of those executed.  Needless to
say Min swore off eating dog again, or so Allen claimed.
       I see nothing wrong with eating dogs....having done it a couple of
times (but not liking the taste) I see no difference in Koreans raising dogs
to eat and Americans raising cows for the same purpose.  The only thing that
I object to is the way they kill them, often beating them to death to make
the meat more tender and supposedly it has a better taste when it has been
beat.