[KS] Re: Cats next?!

Michael Goodwin mgoodwin at greenvillenc.com
Wed Jul 26 14:23:42 EDT 2000

"Elizabeth A. Ten Dyke, Ph.D." wrote:

> I find this thread both fascinating and nauseating.  I have a factual (?)
> question.  Several posts have referred to the "benefits" of beating or
> otherwise significantly traumatizing the animal in question (boiling the
> cat alive) in order to "release adrenaline" "tenderinze the meat" etc.  I
> recall reading an article on animal slaughter in the U.S. (cattle).  The
> entire thrust of the article was that one of the motivations underlying
> more "humane" forms of slaughter was to REDUCE the amoung of adrenaline
> and other stress hormones released just prior to death <snip>

Absolutely! I've been a vegetarian for 10 years but the last time I DID buy
meats (esp. lamb and beef) with any frequency I did so from 3 "free range"
cutters outside Dorval, P.Q. These guys slaughtered their own animals and all
of them --at one time or another-- made me aware of the fact that they sought
to reduce the level of upset of the animal prior to butchering for precisely
this reason: to reduce adrenaline production! I thought this was just common
knowledge.

This recent dog n' cat string has been ridiculous.

It's far more likely, I think, that all this beating of dogs and boiling of
living cats (assuming it's really going on) is a MALE thing; yes, a male
thing!

You know, beat the suckers, kill 'em, and then eat their meat --now so full of
adrenaline-- and live longer, love better, be stronger, fallaciously --and
foolishly-- imbibe more "animal power", etc. I'm very surprised no one has
mentioned this yet --especially given the obvious and lamentable priority of
male over female in Korea and the continued consumption of rare animals for
self-aggrandizement, again usually male.

Mike Goodwin
(Toronto, CA & Greenville, NC)