[KS] Call for Submissions: Kyoto Journal 'Special Issue' 2000: Asian

Lauren Deutsch ldeutsch at lalc.k12.ca.us
Wed Jun 28 12:51:47 EDT 2000

------------
This message has been sent by
Lauren W. Deutsch
Director, Pacific Rim Arts
835 S. Lucerne Blvd., #103, Los Angeles CA 90005 USA
E Mail ldeutsch at lalc.k12.ca.us
Phone (323) 930-2587
>From Lauren W. Deutsch, Contributing Editor, Kyoto Journal

Invitation for Submissions: 'Special Issue' 2000
      Media in Asia: The 'Inside' Story

Kyoto Journal is an award-winning, non-profit, volunteer-based
international quarterly established in 1986, seeking fresh,
thought-provoking "Perspectives on Asia". Every year a special issue
explores a specific theme - most recently, "Time". We are now inviting
submissions for 2000.

Relevant, informative Internet access to Asia is accelerating
exponentially, and our special issue on Media in Asia will deliver a wealth
of detail about present-day Asia online - both mainstream and alternative -
but we're also aiming for inside scoops on Asian cinema, TV, radio,
newspapers, magazines, books, CD-ROMS, advertising - in short, the works.
We're seeking tightly-focused stories with informed, critical insights into
how Japanese, Korean, Burmese, Chinese, Thai, Malaysian or other Asian
media differ from their Western counterparts, and how the Western media
fare in covering the Asian beat.

We're looking for essays or narratives that scrutinize how the media
operate, influence, and are themselves influenced - whether by corporate
owners, governments, or others with an agenda, or by historical, social or
cultural circumstance. What roles do the media play, and how well do they
really serve public interest?

Stories may weigh the present, forsee the future, or reflect historically
on the past. One sample: a major feature (now in progress) on how and why
Japan's newspapers deny their readers the skeptical inquiry needed for
shaping social change. A related story takes us behind-the-scenes for a
day-to-day narrative of the business of putting out the Daily Yomiuri, the
English version of Japan's largest-selling newspaper.

Meanwhile, a former TV producer/camerawoman in Beijing for Associated Press
Television News, America's only TV news agency, shows how boldly the
Chinese seek to gag foreign journalists, and worse, how Western media
sometimes stifle sensitive stories to safeguard their burgeoning business
interests in China.

This special issue will also explore the changing, diverse frontiers of
popular culture, from movies (including a new piece by Donald Richie) all
the way out to 'i-mode' cell phones, which are changing forever the ways in
which people relate and do business. We hope to delve into non-Western
conceptions of celebrity, to stimulate searching interviews with media
figures, and to uncover thought-provoking stories readers will not find
anywhere else.

Please join us!

Writers, interviewers, media fans and critics, photographers and artists
are invited to participate in this project. Submissions will be received
through September 1st, 2000. (If you're interested in contributing, please
contact us ASAP to outline your interest. . .) Sorry, we can't pay for
articles, but anyone whose work is included will receive a free year's
subscription.

Contacts:

Stewart Wachs, KJ Associate Editor <wachs at gol.com>
077-527-5380

Ken Rodgers, KJ Managing Editor <rodgers at kyoto-seika.ac.jp>
075-712-7129

Fax: 075-751-1196
Mail: 35 Minamigoshomachi, Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8334 Japan
Website: www.kampo.co.jp/kyoto-journal

SPECIAL ALERT: we'd like to request anyone travelling in Asia this summer
to watch out for and collect arresting examples of local media graphics -
magazines, handbills, advertising, graffiti - images that could be
incorporated in this issue's design. What exists out there as counterpoint
to the contemporary perception of media as internationalized corporate
satellitefeedfiberopticdigitized hi-tech? Please help!