[KS] Re: k/g, t/d, p/b, ch/j

sangoak sangoak at snu.ac.kr
Tue Mar 14 04:45:12 EST 2000

Let us share another letter from Prof. Peterson to me (Sang-Oak Lee).
For those who are not interested in linguistics and 'romanization', please skip
it.

My comment to Mark's letter:
According to a survey on romanizing Korean personal names and names of public
institutions conducted by the National Academy of the Korean Language in 1996,
public attitudes were as follows (cf. surveyed by Sang-Oak Lee 1998:66):

(1) in case of the family name:
(initial) "k" 167 vs. "g"  1  (final) "k" 57 vs. "g" 0
            t     1 vs.  d   1            none
            p   54 vs.  b   5           none
            s   33 vs. sh 20           none
           ch 182 vs.  j   16          none
aspirated: ch 72                      none
                 p   2                     none
(2) in case of the first name:
(initial) "k" 172 vs. "g" 21  (final) "k" 152 vs. "g" 1, "ck" 13
            t     1  vs. d  66            none
            p    8  vs. b  69            p   16  vs.  b  1
            s   33 vs. sh 20          none
           ch  46 vs.  j 186          none
aspirated: ch 82                     none
                 t  34                     none
                 p   9,   ph  2          none
(3) in case of the name of company, university, bank, and others:
(initial) "k" 126 vs. "g" 20  (final) "k" 50 vs. "g" 1, "ck" 6
            t   34  vs. d 154           none
            p  16  vs.  b  42            p   8  vs. b  2
            s 203 vs. sh 32           (neither "s" nor "sh" but) t   9
           ch  32 vs.   j  72            none
aspirated:  ch 36                      none
                 t   12                      none
                 p  12                      none
Note: Reversions favoring "d, b, & j" in (2) & (3)!  In case of (2),
they are affected/voiced by intervocalic positions when Koreans say
a personal name in the order of the family name and the first/own name.
To explain the case of (3), let us ask why to disappearing 'Daewoo'.

As to the phonetic question at the end of Mark's letter, I believe the space
from our glottis for bilabial "p, b" is the largest (not 'open' but
'largeness').
Otherwise what was said is right.
In other words, the order of space (strictly speaking, volume) is
p/b > t/d > ch/j > k/g.

SOL