[KS] Re: Question on General Sherman

Daniel Corey Kane dkane at hawaii.edu
Tue Nov 7 16:57:50 EST 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Robert Armstrong and list members,

Regarding the question on the General Sherman...I don't know if you have
ever used either Cornell Univ or University of Michigan's digital
archiving project called Making of America. Despite its name it can be
very useful for researching Asian topics, notably as they're related to
the U.S. It has full text data bases of American periodicals going back
over 150 years, all indexed and searchable. Really amazing (to me). It can
be found at http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa. There's a link there to
Michigan's site, which has archived different periodicals.  To
get back to the Sherman, I had heard of Burgevine the self-styled general
involved in the Taiping Uprising. He replaced the mortally wounded
General Ward and was soon killed himself fighting the Taiping. I
didn't, however, know of his connection to the Sherman, so I was
intrigued by your mail. Thanks. Please see the following link (from
Making of America) for an article that links him to the same ill-fated
General Sherman.

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fgala%2Fgala0013%2F&tif=00315.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DACB8727-0013-42

Sorry for the incredibly long link. The citation is from: William Speer,
"Corea: What Shall we Do with Her?" The Galaxy magazine, Vol. 13 No. 3
(March 1872) p. 309

Dan Kane