[KS] Re: Question on General Sherman

Kirk W. Larsen kwlarsen at gwu.edu
Wed Nov 1 13:33:09 EST 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

My understanding is that the _General Sherman_ was owned by an American by
the name of W.B. Preston. Preston arranged with a firm in Tianjin, Meadows
and Co., for the goods the ship took on its ill-fated mission.

Some reports indicate that there were five Westerners on board the ship.
Preston, Robert Thomas (a Welsh clergyman), and three others. One of them
may have been your Burgevine, but I have never seen his name mentioned.

Hope this helps,

Kirk Larsen