[KS] Inquiry: Translation theory

Sang Hwan Seong sseong at uni-bonn.de
Fri Aug 9 05:22:06 EDT 2002

Dear Junghee Chang and list members,

Korean Program at Bonn has been developing translation theories between
German and Korean in the past ten years or so. One of the best research
outcomes is already on the internet.

TUTSCH, Martin. Ch'ae Manshik. Mein Onkel, der Spinner; Geschichte eines
Reisfeldes: Die japanische Kolonialherrschaft in Korea im Spiegel der
koreanischen Literatur.

http://www.korea.uni-bonn.de/pdf/Tutsch.pdf

Tutsch also touches upon some important linguistic aspects of the
translations between Korean and German.

Tutsch is currently serving German Foreign Service (official translator for
German Embassy in Pyongyang) in Pyongyang.

Readers are also referred to the other graduation works dealing with
translation problems in our program:

 http://www.korea.uni-bonn.de/diplom.htm

Additionally, one of my recent articles also discusses the various aspects
of translation and L2 acquisition issues covering English, German and
Korean. This work is written in English (fortunately!).

"Transitivity parameter and prominence typology: a cross-linguistic study"
(35pages) In:

Applied Cognitive Linguistics
Ed. by Puetz, Martin / Niemeier, Susanne / Dirven, Rene. Berlin and New
York: Mouton de Gruyter.
19.1: I: Theory and Language Acquisition
2001. XXIV, 273 p.
ISBN 3-11-017221-6

Cheers,

Sang-Hwan Seong