[KS] Chuch'e

Bruce Cumings bcumings at midway.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 11 11:13:09 EST 2002

Dear Frank,

You are right, shutaisei is chuch'esong, and it has been a staple subject
for Japanese intellecutals at least since the 1920s. Victor Koschmann's
book Revolution and Subjectivity, which came out four or five years ago,
deals with the post-1945 conception of shutaisei among Japanese
intellectuals, and is quite good. He didn't seem to be aware, however, that
shutai was also the ruling doctrine of North Korea.

I am quite sure that the Japanese usage rubbed off on Kim Il Sung and the
North Korean ideologues at some point before 1955, but proving it would be
just about impossible--since from the inception they would deny (and
expunge) any one-to-one relationship between the two. At the same time,
chuch'e was a follow-on to similar terms referring to self-reliance that
were used in the late 1940s, like chajusong and several others that I
discuss in my 1990 book (2nd volume of Origins of the Korean War). In 1955,
the introduction of this term may have been meant to give a philosophical
gloss to
these other terms, since chu'che's original coinage in the 19th
century--again by the Japanese, who introduced most modern terminology to
E. Asia--was used to translate Hegel's (difficult to translate) notion of
sublation.

Best,

BC