[KS] Old North Korean Dictionary

1954John Duggan j_m_duggan at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 15 07:50:43 EDT 2002

I recently acquired a 1957 "Popular Dictionary of Political Terminology"
(Taejung ChOngch'i YongO SajOn), edited by Kim Sang-hyOn, and published in
Pyongyang.  It is interesting in several regards:

1.  There is no entry for the term "chuch'e," despite Kim Il Sung's speech
of December 1955 regarding the same.

2.  As with books published somewhat later, Kim Il Sung is merely a
"comrade" (tongji):  the honorific -nim and honorific particle -kkesO are
lacking. Nor is there an entry for the great leader himself.

3.  Many of the terms are transcribed from Russian rather than rendered in
native Korean.

4.  The dictionary order is between that of current South Korean
publications and modern North Korean.

The book was very badly mildewed, so I am having a few copies of the
dictionary made; if anyone is interested, please contact me. I intend to
donate at least a couple to the libraries in Seoul I use.

Scalapino and Lee's Communism in North Korea lists a later version of the
dictionary (1959) also edited by Kim Sang-hyOn in the bibliography.
However, I have not yet been able to find this in libraries in Seoul such as
the Ministry of Unification's Data Center.  Is anyone aware of a US library
holding the 1959 version?  I would be interested in tracking the changes in
terms, i.e. did chuch'e show up by then?

The Ministry of Unification Data Center has a 1964 dictionary of the same
title edited by Pak Chun-SO which does have a one page entry for chuch'e;
the dictionary order is that of modern North Korean.

John Duggan