[KS] The death of Queen Min

Yong-ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 28 14:21:28 EDT 2002

Perhaps, the reference you mention may be from Ch'oe Mun-hy^ong's book
under the title of "My^ongsong Hwanghu ^ui shihae ^i chinsil ^ul palk'inda
(Expose the truth of murdering Empress My^ongs^ong)," published by Chishik
san^opsa in 2001.  The following is my translation from p. 198 after
describing the scene of murder:

         "Meanwhile the masterless samurai (Nangin pae), forcing court
ladies and Crown Prince Yi Ch'^ok, reconfirmed the identity of the dead
body of the queen, and just before doing this, under the influence of
alcohol, they did not hesitate to perform barbaric deeds that appear to be
raping the dead body."  (wanghu ui shishin ul n^ungyok han^un t^ut han
manhaeng ^ul s^os^um ch'i anhatta...."

         And then in endnote 155 (p. 285-86), the author gives various
Japanese sources that give different descriptions of violating queen's dead
body.

         An emeritus professor of history at Hanyang University, the author
of this book is a highly respected scholar in Korea.

At 10:02 AM 6/28/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>I got the following mail from someone, could anyone enlighten me?
>
>>Dear Mr Savenije,
>>I would like to ask you whether you could confirm the latest developments
>>about the death of the Queen Min. I've heard from one Korean scholar in
>>Cracow that one journalist had published an article (based on Japanese
>>sources) about her death in which he says that she had been raped by the
>>Japanese soldiers before they killed her.
>>Sincerely
>>Andrzej Wadas
>

>Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
>-----------------------------
>All my sites will move.
>So adjust your bookmarks and links
>
>Feel free to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
>http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English)
>In Korean
>http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm
>In Dutch
>http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch
>Frits Vos Article about Witsen and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch
>dictionary
>http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr
>Korea through Western Cartographic eyes
>http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English)