[KS] Romanization tendencies in the West

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 1 16:43:50 EST 2002

If I may, I would like to add an additional point of amplification
regarding Professor Ledyard's earlier comment, which was then re-copied in
Professor Palais' response; namely, where Professor Ledyard wrote "Korea
has decided to go its own way," it is actually an action talken by South
Korea that he -- and the discussion before and since -- is referring to.
Especially at this vexing moment in U.S. relations with the peninsula, as
the President of the United States seems to be doing his utmost
simultaneously to undermine President Kim Dae Jung and inflame the
government of North Korea, the political implications of even such mundane
matters as romanization need our alert attention as scholars and students
in the field of "Korean" studies.  At every opportunity, that is to say, I
would urge readers and contributors to this discussion to notice what we
assume "Korea" is.

David McCann