[KS] Gwageo cheongsan (Kwageon ch'eongsan)

Mark Peterson Mark_Peterson at byu.edu
Tue Sep 10 13:34:05 EDT 2002

Greetings,

This has been a wonderful thread -- both in terms of participation
and the value of the topic.  As one who works primarily in Chosøn era
topics, I've been hesitant to get into this discussion on a recent
history topic.  But it is so important.  What is happening in Korea
-- and thanks to those who have educated us about the recent
scholarship -- is something that has needed to happen, something that
has an inevitability about it.

I think most of us have had experiences in discussing recent history
where the Korean contact backs off from a topic because it is too
thorny to get into.  It is these issues that need to be put on the
table, and the process has attracted the loaded term ch'øngsan that
has caused us so much angst in attempting to translate.  There is a
need.  For example, recently I took a group of textbook writers
through the Samsung plant in Suwøn.  There, there is a "history hall"
showing the history of Samsung.  It shows the growth of the company
from a small mercantile operation in the 30's, and then shows it's
involvement in food sales, sugar, etc., and great growth in the late
30's.  No one says that the food production was for the sake of
supporting the Japanese army as it marched off to war.  It goes
unspoken.  And this is just one case.  There are many cases that go
unspoken, but the older generation all knows.  The younger generation
does not "know" experientially, and they are bold enough to put in on
the record.  I look forward to seeing what the Korea Journal comes up
with.

There is hope, on my part at least, that enough time has passed that
these issues can be put on the table without acrimony.  Some of the
postings indicate that this ch'øngsan can be done academically, yet
some of the postings indicate that there still may be a political
agenda, some getting even, that may ride on this issue.

David's posting, mentioning death, brings a soberness to the
discussion.  Is Korean society ready to put this issue on the table?
Or, will the embarrassment or harassment lead to "committing suicide
in atonement for one's (or one's father's) crimes"?  Or to other
violence.

Will Korea deal with this in a "atoning" way, with an element of
"forgiveness" -- as has been discussed?  Let's hope so.

with best regards,
Mark Peterson