[KS] Nine cloud dream tranaslation

Peter SCHROEPFER schroepfer at oranckay.net
Fri Apr 4 20:02:02 EST 2003

Mr. Rutt's translation is still available from the Korea Branck of the Royal Asiatic Society, and, since the RAS barely has a webpage, if you want it can be ordered through SeoulSelection.com.

The copyright on Gale's translation may be seen at http://209.11.144.65/eldritchpress/kim/cloud9.html . It reads beautifully, with one slight but serious problem: no bed scenes. That's right, there was a time when Korea's munhwa sangp'um got kawijil (the scissor treatment) to protect English audiences like Korean viewers are protected from Hollywood films. According to ChOng Kyubok, Gale was a gentleman and a scholar, unlike the rest of those Westerners who believe in "free love," and for this reason Gale sees to it that none of the nine people down from Fairyland sleep together. It's very strange and logically makes no sense, but the ones Yang is supposed to sleep with he just talks to all night, which in pre-modern times would've made a woman spent material just the same. This is unfortunate, because the way in which he sleeps with some of the eight and not the others, namely the princesses, says much about love and what was acceptable in literature in ChosOn times. If you keep this in mind, it is a great translation.

I myself will do another translation sometime within the next ten years.... I find no fault with Rutt's, but I believe every true classic deserves several humble attempts.

Cheers,

Peter Schroepfer.