[KS] Korean literature

Ann Lee asl at u.washington.edu
Fri Aug 8 20:37:42 EDT 2003

Dear all,

I would like to clarify my earlier statement.

Actually, I am interested in how Yi In-song's writings portray the struggle, within the moment, of individual subjectivity to vocalize or signify while conscious of the othering effect of overdetermining discourses.  Yi's works depict Korean subjectivity as refracted into divided selves, within the field of global, hegemonic desire, and how narrative voice modulates from first person to third person to depict this "othering" process.  I am interested too in how Yi In-song foregrounds the individual subject's practice of language: for example, the use of foreign language (Kim) and the questioning of the concept of an "originary" Koreanness (Chow: 91), and the ungrammatical use of Korean to depict the interplay of moment and flow, subjectivity and sociolect.  Moreover, I am interested in how Yi portrays contradictions within masculinist perspectives of the sexual exploitation of women.  I discuss Yi's use of dialogic poetics (Choi, Bakhtin) in the depiction of the minjung as audience and actors who are creative subjectivities in their own right.  I examine Yi In-song's depiction of the struggle of the subject to participate in the sociolect and to constitute dialogic, democratic processes of communication.

Dudley Andrew.  "Tracing Ricoeur."  Review of Paul Ricoeur: Les Sens d'Une Vie.  diacritics 30.2 (summer 2000): 43-69.

Cho Hae-joang.  T'al singminji sidae chisigin ui kul ilkki wa salm ilkki.  Vol. 1.  Seoul: Tto hana ui munhwa, 1996.

Choi Chung-moo.  Personal communications about Gilles Deleuze.  Southern California Korean Studies Colloquium, 1994.

Choi Chungmoo.  "Transnational Capitalism, National Imaginary and the Protest Theater in South Korea."  Boundary 2 22.1 (1995): 235-261.

Chong Sun-jin.  Han'guk munhak kwa yosong chuui pip'yong.  Seoul: Kukhak charyowon, 1992.

Chow, Rey.  "Violence in the Other Country: China as Crisis, Spectacle and Woman."  In Chandra Mohanty, Ann Russo and Lourdes Torres, ed.  Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism.  Bloomington:  Indiana University Press, 1991.

Gilles Deleuze.  The movement-image.  Translated by Hugh Tomlinson and Barbara Habberjam.  Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press, 1986.

Soo-hee Kim, Lecturer, University of Washington is researching loan words in Korean.

Heather McHugh (1993).  Broken English.  Hanover and London: Wesleyan University Press, 1993.

Gi-wook Shin.  "The Paradox of Korean Globalization."  Asia/Pacific Research Center, Stanford University, January 2003.

Mike Shin.  Personal communications about Yi In-song.  U.C. Berkeley, 1991-1992.

Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak.  "Can the subaltern speak?"  In Colonial Discourse and Post-Colonial Theory: A Reader.  Patrick Williams and Laura Chrisman, ed.  New York: Columbia University Press, 1994: 66-111.

Yi In-song.  Han opsi najun sumgyol.  Seoul: Munhak kwa chisongsa, 1999 (first edition 1989).

Yi In-song.  Kang ogwi e som hana.  Seoul: Munhak kwa chisongsa, 1999.

Yi In-song.  Mich'yoborigo sip'un mich'yojijiannun.  Seoul: Munhak kwa chisongsa, 1996 (first edition 1995).

Yi In-song.  Natsson sigan soguro.  Seoul: Munhak kwa chisongsa, 1997 (first edition 1983).

Yi In-song.  Singmulsong ui chohang.  Seoul:  Yollimwon, 2

Ann Sung-hi Lee, Visiting Scholar
Asian Languages and Literature Department
University of Washington
http://faculty.washington.edu/asl