[KS] Hananim

James H Grayson J.H.Grayson at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Dec 22 07:37:07 EST 2003

22.12.03

Dear List readers,
In his email of 17 December, Gari Ledyard concludes by saying
that he believes what John Ross found out was that a 'back-
formation' of 'Ch'onju' was in common currency by the late 1860s /
early 1870s. Personally, I am not convinced of the idea that
'Hananim' and variants is a 'back-formation' from the Roman
Catholic term for God.  Besides the two reasons which I have
mentioned earlier, I am not convinced of this view for the following
reasons: 1) if Roman Catholics were being persecuted for their
refusal to participate in chesa rituals because they were believed to
be idolatrous, this was because of their belief in 'Ch'onju'.  Ch'onju
is a fixed term for God. To disguise this term under the
circumstances would have been perceived to be a form of
recantation of their belief, ie denial of the deity whom they
worshipped. 2) if the correlation between Ch'onju and Hananim and
variants was so obvious, and if there was no already existing
similar term for a ruler of Heaven, it would be impossible to
disguise their Catholic Christianity. Their disguise could only work
if there was a pre-existing term which didn't draw attention to their
beliefs.

Suffice it to say that Ross knew that the term which he chose to
translate 'God' was not referring to a monotheistic deity - and
especially a Trinitarian one! - but to a high god.

A Happy Christmas to everyone!
James
Prof. James H Grayson, Ph.D.
Director, Centre for Korean Studies