[KS] The Korea Foundation's Korea traditional music workshop

Keith Howard kh at soas.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 16:22:58 EDT 2003

This is what I have:

<1st Week>
Monday (6/16)   Overview of Korean Traditional Music
Lee Byung Won
Tuesday (6/17)   Regional Folksongs/P'ungmul: regional style and
social function   Nathan Hesselink
Wednesday (6/18) Kakok, Kasa,
Sijo                                         Lee Byung Won
                Shaman Ritual Music
Lee Yong Sik
Thursday (6/19)  Sanjo and Sinawi/ Buddist Music
Lee Byung Won
Friday (6/20)    Discussion
Moderator: Nathan Hesselink
Saturday (6/21)  Field Trip
---Practice Korean Traditional Music & Dance (Danso, Samulnori,
Dance, Gayageum) ---
<2nd Week>
Monday (6/23)  Transmission of Korean Traditional Music in North
Korea    Noh Dong-eun
Tuesday (6/24)  P'ansori and
Ch'angguk                                      Park Chen-eung
Wednesday(6/25) Instrumental music of the royal court:
Pungnyu                   So Inhwa
Thursday (6/26)  Discussion
Moderator:Park Chen-eung
Friday (6/27)    Field Trip
---Practice Korean Traditional Music & Dance (Danso, Samulnori,
Dance, Gayageum) ---
<3rd Week>
Monday (6/30)  Court music and aesthetics
Hwang Joon Youn
Tuesday (7/1)   Court dance and aesthetics
Choi Hye rye
Wednesday (7/2) National musical institutions on Korean history
Yoon Mi Young
             Discussion with senior musicians from NCKTPA  Sung
Kyunglin & Kim Choen heung
Thursday (7/3)  History of Korean traditional music
Nam sang Sook
Friday (7/4)     Discussion                              Moderator:
Andrew Sutton
---Practice Korean Traditional Music & Dance---
<4th Week>
Monday (7/7)    Korean music theory/Korean traditional musical instruments
Kim Young Un/Shin Dae Chol
Tuesday (7/8)    Korean music in Asian context
Kwon O Sung
                Korean music in World context
Keith Howard
Wednesday (7/9)  New Korean music in contemporary society (lecture
demonstration)
    Hwang Byung Ki/ Won Il
Thursday (7/10)  Discussion
Moderator: Keith Howard
Friday (7/11)    Tour of Korean Traditional Music Museum/Participant
evaluation of workshop
---Practice Korean Traditional Music & Dance---

Keith.

--
Dr Keith Howard
Senior Lecturer in Music, SOAS,