[KS] [Q] North Korea

Lucas Husgen lhusgen at kirogi.demon.nl
Fri Nov 28 05:26:25 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:44:04 -0800, Ian <ceds at vcn.bc.ca> wrote:

> I am a new member on the list.  You can find out more about our
> organization
> at:
> www.globalaid.net

http://www.globalaid.net/northkorea.html

Though of course help for the North-Korean orphans is bitterly needed, it
strikes me as odd that your organisation, as your website claims, has
been  "asked by the DPRK government to assist them in providing aid and
assistance to orphans in at least six orphanages through love, friendship
and co-operation". Aren't you doing something there any civilised
government would take upon itself? So how to avoid the pitfalls of
complicity to North Korean barbarism in general? Isn't there the lurking
danger you're implicitly supporting NK policies, that is: how sure are you
that your orphans are all orphans, and if they are, how sure are you that
their parents weren't killed for political reasons, or are suffering in
camps?

Yet, once again, help for these children will surely be bitterly needed,
granted.

> A special agreement allows us to supervise the aid, working side by side
> with the caregivers and children in several orphanages<

what is this 'special agreement' comprised of, I wonder?

Reading pages like

http://monthly.chosun.com/dataroom/databoardread.asp?idx=9&cPage=1&table=dataroom

or

http://monthly.chosun.com/dataroom/databoardread.asp?idx=10&table=dataroom&cPage=1&boardtype=A

always make me very wary of any humanitarian support to NK, and feel at a
loss about its
indispensability at the same time.

Best,

Lucas Hüsgen

--
There's nothing like the old songs, but what's the good if you can't
remember them. Mem. Mem. Memory.

William H. Gass

http://www.kirogi.demon.nl/index.htm
http://www.lucashusgen.net/index.html