[KS] NEAC/Korea Foundation grants/fellowships announcements

Mike Goodwin goodwins at txcyber.com
Wed Jan 14 12:00:59 EST 2004

Clearly, it is a short-sighted strategy to view
> critics and other independent scholars this way,
> because their commentary on Korean culture generally
> reaches much wider audiences than academics

Hi Scott: This is an issue you have raised before, and it is one with which
I empathize (especially because I own and have read both your Eng-langauge
books, and know them to be "spot on).

I see the above strategy (as you say) as just that; a stratgey (a strategic
decision). It is a relative effect of a phenomenon that has its
(intentional) roots in a certain "negative" disposition some (not all)
academicians have. Nietzsche talked about it viz. philosophers. Most, for
him, are useless to society, and the only ones N. himself admired were
those whose lives were (as he said) "exemplary". The useless ones (and I
think we can generalize to all disciplines here) tend simply to see
themselves --and therefore try to live their lives--"above" the rabble,
where much good critical thought originates.

It's a defense mechanism, right? And so this element becomes absorbed into
money-granting bodies --directed by boards of academics, some of whom see
themselves as protectors of intellectual justice and purity via
certain "standards" (e.g., "The successful applicant will be enrolled
in/completing an M.A./Ph.D. from a recognized university", etc.)

    romoting greater understanding of the culture--and