[KS] Korean Ghost Stories

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:38:19 EDT 2005

Dear KS list members:

"Hmmm, what is a tokkaebi," I wondered after reading Ms. Kim's post and the
various replies.  I was going to ask for a brief rundown, but decided to do
a bit of digging.

"Ah, *that's* a tokkaebi," I thought, upon discovering that a familiar
architectural design motif features the creature, as shown in pictures here
(for anyone else who was wondering):
http://www.lifeinkorea.com/culture/changseung/Changseung.cfm?xURL=Tokkaebi.

And my curiosity was further satisfied by this article from a package tour
company's website (don't know if that's the original source for the article
or not, as there is no citation):
http://english.freedom.co.kr/information/etc3.asp

Stefan Ewing

>From: jinakim at u.washington.edu
>To: Korean Studies Discussion List <Koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
>Subject: [KS] Korean Ghost Stories
>Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Dear List Members,
>
>I would like your assistance in identifying some Korean (either classical
>or modern) "ghost" stories/tales in either Korean or English.  Any kind of
>"ghost" stories would be appreciated--whether of the spirit, kwishin,
>Tokkebi, human or animal type.  Bibliographical information would be
>greatly appreciated, if known.
>
>Related to the first query, I'm also interested in scholarly works that
>deal with emotions related to "fear" provoked by "ghosts" in Korea.
>
>Thank you in advance for your assistance,
>Jina Kim

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.